One way to achieve a healthy life is to check your daily body requirement of protein and other essential minerals in the food you are eating. Seared duck in couscous salad is one great nutritious meal. Duck meat is a good source of protein, selenium, B vitamins and folic acid. It is seared so to retain its juices. Couscous salad, on the other hand, has fiber, fewer calories, and is sugar and fat-free. As a dish, this duo is loaded with so much nutritional value not to mention that it is so delightfully delicious.
This dish may come to you with a little intimidation on the name itself especially if it is your first time to encounter this food. It sounds like a fancy and complicated dish. You might think it can only be ordered on a very expensive restaurant. Good news is that it can be very easy to cook and simple to prepare. Even better is that you can cook it yourself at the convenience of your home. It can cut your cost from dining out plus it can give you freedom as to how you want your seared duck seasoned and control the amount and variety of vegetables you can put into your couscous salad. It will also make you feel great to be able to create this dish on your own like a pro without having to order it from restaurants.
To guide you on making this dish for the first time or if you are looking for a good recipe to try on, we have come up with this easy recipe of seared duck with couscous salad and simple steps on how to cook and prepare this dish. Just to give you a headstart, this recipe uses breast duck which is the lean and healthier part of the duck. It is marinated in orange juice to boost the flavor naturally. It has a taste of sweet and sour and comprises a balanced flavor from roast pumpkin and baby spinach to aid you in your fiber intake. Aside from being nutritious and delicious, it is not hard to make at all. So, in your quest for a good and healthy dish, why not also level up your cooking skills by preparing this scrumptious dish? It will be a fun journey. All ingredients are readily available in your healthy grocery stores or supermarket. Let’s get it on and enjoy cooking!
Serves: 2-3 serves
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Seared Duck Preparation
- 2 duck breasts: trim all fat surrounding
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 small piece of fresh root ginger: peel and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 100ml orange juice
- Pinch of salt
1. To make marinate sauce: mix white wine, ginger, balsamic vinegar sweet soy, sweet chili salt, and orange juice in a bowl.
2. Marinate the 2 duck breasts in the sauce for 30 minutes. Take the duck out. Drizzle a little bit oil in a non – stick frying pan. Sear the duck on the heated pan on both sides until brown. Lower the heat, add the dressing to the duck and cook a further 15 minutes. Basting regularly until the duck is cooked. Remove the duck and cover loosely to keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the couscous salad
- 3.5oz (100g): couscous.
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 7oz (200g) diced cooked pumpkin.
- 2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup roast unsalted cashew
- 1/4 cup orange juice.
1. Wash and clean spinach leaves and let it dry.
2. Pour 1/3 cup boiling water and 1/4 cup orange juice in a bowl (microwave-safe). Stir it well, wrap with cling wrap and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.Take the bowl out and let it rest for 5 minutes.
3. Toss the cooked couscous with olive oil, pumpkin, and baby spinach leaves
When everything ready to serve, arrange the salad on the plate. Slice the duck and top on the salad. Pour the dressing on the duck. Scatter with the cashew and garnish with an orange slice and some coriander leaves on top.
Recipe Note: Chicken breast can be used instead of duck.
How was your experience in making this dish? Did you have a blast doing it? In case you have questions about this recipe, you can always type it in the comment box and we will be glad to answer all your queries. You can also share this dish with your friends, and relatives or if you know of someone looking also for a healthier food to cook, share this with them by clicking that share button. Thank you and watch out for more healthy and delicious recipes on my blog - a place to share all.